[Python-modules-team] Keeping mod_python?

Arthur de Jong adejong at debian.org
Fri Jun 28 11:35:16 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've been doing some work on the libapache2-mod-python packaging but the
more I think about it the more doubts I have about shipping mod_python
in the next stable release.

First and foremost, upstream is dead and all the development has moved
to mod_wsgi:
  http://blog.dscpl.com.au/2010/06/modpython-project-is-now-officially.html
although upstream doesn't seem to be convinced having set up a new Git
repository in January of this year:
  http://modpython.org/
However, the repository still hasn't seen a new commit in 5 years.

Fedora have also retired mod_python:
  https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/5165

There are a number of bugs open with no clear solution available (with
my recent upload I only looked at the packaging and not at functional
bugs).

mod_python's reverse dependencies:

  Reverse Depends:
    check-mk-multisite
    dicoweb (with mod_wsgi as alternative)
  Reverse Suggests:
    archmage
    python-paste (as alternative to mod_wsgi)
    roundup
    viewvc (also works via CGI)
    zine (as alternative to mod_wsgi)
  Reverse Recommends:
    djagios (as alternative to mod_wsgi)
    python-mod-pywebsocket

So removing libapache2-mod-python would only be a real problem for
check-mk-multisite (apart from users who still haven't switched to
mod_wsgi).

On the other hand, it has a high popcon count (much higher than
mod_wsgi).

Lastly, I'm not 100% comfortable with the Apache 2.4 changes I made.

I think libapache2-mod-python should be removed from testing and not be
part of the next release. At the very least the new version should not
go in without more testing.

I plan to open an RC bug against libapache2-mod-python to prevent
migration to testing unless someone closes the bug with a positive test
report. I also plan to ask the release team to remove
libapache2-mod-python from testing to ease the migration of Apache 2.4.

This should make it easy to get mod_python in the next release if
someone is interested enough.

Any objections?

--
-- arthur - adejong at debian.org - http://people.debian.org/~adejong --