[Python-modules-team] statsd + voluptuous packaged!

Antoine Musso hashar+wmf at free.fr
Thu Mar 21 12:30:26 UTC 2013

Hello,

I have been a long time Debian user and finally starts contributing back
to the project \O/

For the context, I am a contractor for the Wikimedia Foundation which
uses Ubuntu. To install python modules on the production infrastructure,
we are required to use Debian packages.

My needs were for the voluptuous and statsd python modules. The very
first step was to fill the ITPs:

statsd     http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=703613
voluptuous http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=698354

The voluptuous one has been build and deployed on one of the Wikimedia
server already, the statsd is in the pipeline.  I have posted some
details on the voluptuous ITP:

---------8<---------------8<---------------8<---------------8<---------
We completed the packaging of python-voluptuous version 0.6.1 for Ubuntu
Precise.  The debian/* files are available in Wikimedia git repository:

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/p/operations/debs/python-voluptuous.git

The APT repository is apt.wikimedia.org , the generated files can be
found at:

 http://apt.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/pool/main/p/python-voluptuous/
---------8<---------------8<---------------8<---------------8<---------

The package is meant for Ubuntu Precise right now. I would like to have
the package reviewed by some expert and ultimately get it uploaded to
the Debian.org archive.  I will be more than happy to maintain it.

My questions are thus:

- is there any mentoring program?
- are my packages awfully wrong for inclusion in Debian.org, if so how
can I enhance them :-]
- can a package support both Ubuntu and Debian?
- how do I upload it for inclusion in debian/experimental or testing?

I am 'hashar' on OFTC and Freenode IRC.
I write english and french.
Available during European business hours.

Thank you!

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso