[Python-modules-team] Comments regarding python-scipy_0.14.0-1_amd64.changes

Julian Taylor jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 6 20:27:14 UTC 2014

On 03.06.2014 15:59, Julian Taylor wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Thorsten Alteholz
> <ftpmaster at ftp-master.debian.org> wrote:
>> Dear Maintainer,
>>
>> can you please explain why files containing such text:
>> (scipy-0.14.0/scipy/io/tests/data/*.sav)
>>
>>  NOTICE:
>>
>>   IDL Save/Restore files embody unpublished proprietary information
>>   about the IDL program. Reverse engineering of this file is therefore
>>   forbidden under the terms of the IDL End User License Agreement
>>   (IDL EULA). All IDL users are required to read and agree to the
>>   terms of the IDL EULA at the time that they install IDL.
>>   Software that reads or writes files in the IDL Save/Restore format
>>   must have a license from ITT Visual Information Solutions
>>   explicitly granting the right to do so. In this case, the license
>>   will be included with the software for your inspection. Please
>>   report software that does not have such a license to
>>   ITT Visual Information Solutions (info at ittvis.com).
>>
>> can be added to main?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>  Thorsten
>>

> the implementation that reads these files (scipy/io/idl.py) contains
> following statement:
>
> # This code was developed by with permission from ITT Visual Information
> # Systems. IDL(r) is a registered trademark of ITT Visual Information Systems,
> # Inc. for their Interactive Data Language software.
>
> I'll check with upstream if they have more detailed documentation on
> the extent of the permission.

Hi,
I have also asked debian-legal for advice. The thread is here:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2014/06/msg00001.html

Upstream pretty much has the same opinion as Steve that the EULA is
likely not valid and not a reason to remove the code.
Details on the permission mentioned in the source have not shown up yet.

I guess it is you the ftp-masters who will have to decide whether this
is ok for main?
Is there anything more you need before you can make a decision?

Cheers,
Julian