[Python-modules-team] Django 1.9

Neil Williams codehelp at debian.org
Sat Dec 5 10:43:00 UTC 2015

On Thu, 03 Dec 2015 17:42:22 +0200
Chris Lamb <lamby at debian.org> wrote:

> What, exactly, are we worried about? My experience of investigating
> and handling of security issues in very old versions of Django are
> that they are usually trivially backportable anyway.
>
> (Just my quick thoughts, apologies for any incoherence.)

My primary concern is exactly what has just happened in unstable.

I went to the extent of installing and testing lava-server with
django1.9 from experimental and fixed the issues.

Yet when I actually install django1.9 from unstable, I get a completely
unanticipated error from the removal of an item that was *not* declared
as deprecated in the django tests but which, nonetheless, crippled
localhost with a HTTP 500.

http://paste.debian.net/341382/

I'm fed up with this. 1.9 is unfit for upload, even to experimental. It
should not have gone into unstable in this state.

I spent a month upgrading to 1.8. I installed and tested 1.9 from
experimental and fixed some minor issues. When 1.9 actually arrives in
unstable, I get completely unrelated, undocumented, undeclared,
massive, system-critical breakage. No-one can be expected to get their
packages in line with 1.9 if the version for testing in experimental is
not the version that actually gets into unstable!

--

Neil Williams