[Python-modules-team] Maintenance of pydap

Ghislain Vaillant ghisvail at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 08:00:32 UTC 2016

Ciao Sandro,

I recently got involved with the packaging of the HDF compass [1], a
viewer for HDF5 written in Python and using pydap as an install
dependency.

The version of pydap currently packaged is too old to work with the
compass, first because version 3.x apparently changed the module API
from using `import dap` to `import pydap`.

I saw the following bug report [2] requesting an update of the package,
but it was not acted upon or acknowledged. I am thereby contacting you
to know whether the package was still actively maintained on your end.

If you have lost interest in maintaining this package, myself and the
Debian Science Team would be interested in taking over, since both
hdf-compass and pydap are science related.

Otherwise, please allow me to request an update to this package so I
can carry on with my packaging work on hdf-compass.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=812434
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=788508

Many thanks,
Ghis