[Python-modules-team] Packaging Django v1.8 for Sid?

Scott Kitterman debian at kitterman.com
Wed Nov 9 00:35:10 UTC 2016

On November 8, 2016 5:00:24 PM EST, Turbo Fredriksson <turbo at bayour.com> wrote:
>On 8 Nov 2016, at 10:43, Neil Williams <codehelp at debian.org> wrote:
>
>> As I said, I don't see python-django1.8 being an option for unstable
>at
>> this time.
>
>Without that, we won’t have a (properly) working Openstack GUI in
>stretch :(.
>
>It’s still going to be there, installable and everything, but it won’t
>work correctly.

Python-django doesn't have a great track record regarding needing security updates [1].  I don't think it's reasonable to ask the security team to support two versions.  Neither do I think it would be appropriate to ship a package this risky without security support.  I'm currently supporting security backports for Django 1.6 on wheezy and jessie for customers and it can be a lot of work.

Much as I know you don't want to hear it, I think the only path to success is to make openstack work with 1.10.

Scott K
[1] https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/source-package/python-django