[Python-modules-team] Issue in numpydoc (Was: Further help needed for statsmodels)

Andreas Tille andreas at fam-tille.de
Fri Aug 18 16:55:56 UTC 2017

Hi Denis,

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 10:06:46PM +0200, Denis Laxalde wrote:
> Andreas Tille a écrit :
> > there seems to be an issue with numpydoc which breaks the build of
> > statsmodels.  I'm on my way back home from DebConf and can't do any
> > sensible research into this, but I'd consider it urgent to get
> > statsmodels uploaded soonish.
>
> https://github.com/statsmodels/statsmodels/blob/v0.8.0rc1/statsmodels/genmod/families/family.py#L92
>
> There's a duplicate "Notes" section in Family.starting_mu(). Deleting lines
> 98-99 in statsmodels/genmod/families/family.py should fix the error raised
> by numpydoc.

I can confirm that this solves that issue.  Thanks a lot for this hint.
There is a probably rather minor issue left:

copying images... [100%] images/ht.png

copying static files... done
copying extra files... done
dumping search index in English (code: en) ... done
dumping object inventory... done
build succeeded, 774 warnings.
#@echo "Copying rendered example notebooks"
#mkdir -p build/html/examples/notebooks/generated
#cp source/examples/notebooks/generated/*html build/html/examples/notebooks/generated
#../tools/examples_rst.py
../tools/fold_toc.py build/html/index.html
#../tools/fold_toc.py build/html/examples/index.html ../_static
../tools/fold_toc.py build/html/dev/index.html ../_static

Build finished. The HTML pages are in build/html.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/build/statsmodels-0.8.0/docs'
mv docs/build/* build/
mv: cannot move 'docs/build/doctrees' to 'build/doctrees': Directory not empty
mv: cannot move 'docs/build/html' to 'build/html': Directory not empty
mv: cannot move 'docs/build/plot_directive' to 'build/plot_directive': Directory not empty
debian/rules:68: recipe for target 'doc-stamp' failed
make[1]: *** [doc-stamp] Error 1

I just want to announce that I will not have time for any relevant
Debian work and that it would really help if somebody would solve this
and do a team upload to save a larger set of rdepends.

BTW, this "appears twice in the docstring" issue also happens in skimage
but I need to admit that I did not found the duplicate here after a
*very quick* look while being tired of my flight back from DebConf.

reading sources... [  2%] api/skimage.color
reading sources... [  2%] api/skimage.data

Exception occurred:
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/numpydoc/docscrape.py", line 343, in _parse
    raise ValueError(msg)
ValueError: The section Other Parameters appears twice in the docstring of None in None.
The full traceback has been saved in /tmp/sphinx-err-ECVN6G.log, if you want to report the issue to the developers.
Please also report this if it was a user error, so that a better error message can be provided next time.
A bug report can be filed in the tracker at <https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/issues>. Thanks!
Makefile:53: recipe for target 'html' failed
make[2]: *** [html] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/build/skimage-0.13.0/doc'

If somebody could solve this (+do a team upload) this would be
helpful as well.  Just do not be shy and fix and team upload more
Debian Science packages. ;-)

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--