[Python-modules-team] next version of csvkit

Ghislain Vaillant ghisvail at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 21:26:27 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-03-31 at 16:53 -0400, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > actually i take the thanks back: i just noticed you uploaded *only*
> > > the py3k version of the agate modules: how's that supposed to help
> > > csvkit, which provides py2 and py3k modules?
> >
> > 1. https://lintian.debian.org/tags/new-package-should-not-package-pytho
> > n2-module.html
>
> this is non-sense, it's doing only harm and no good to Debian or its users

How so? Buster will not be supporting Python 2, so the narrative of
having new source packages only provide Python 3 binary packages is
totally justified.

> > 2. apt-cache rdepends python-csvkit
> >
> > python-csvkit
> > Reverse Depends:
> >
> > 3. The documentation of csvkit [1] only references the command-line
> > tools. Besides, quoting the upstream README [2]:
> >
> > - "csvkit is **a suite of command-line tools** for converting to and
> > working with CSV."
> >
> > - "If you need to do more complex data analysis than csvkit can handle,
> > use agate."
> >
> > Therefore, based on these comments above, dropping the Python 2
> > packages for the Buster cycle should not be that big of a deal.
>
> no, i do not plan to drop python 2 support for csvkit (not any other
> packages I maintain) until a developers decision is made.
>

> > [1] http://csvkit.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html
> > [2] https://github.com/wireservice/csvkit/blob/master/README.rst
> >
> > Ghis

If what you are worried about is the upgrade path for potential users
currently relying on python-csvkit instead of python3-csvkit to use the
tools, then perhaps the team can provide an answer to that (cc'd).

Ghis