[Python-modules-team] python-django_1.8.18-1~bpo8+1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Jan Ingvoldstad frettled at gmail.com
Wed May 24 11:59:07 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Ian Campbell <ijc at debian.org> wrote:

> Yet 1.10.x is going to be in Stretch, according to [0]? If users want
> LTS then why aren't we shipping that in our upcoming stable release
> (whether its instead of or in addition to the latest release)?

This happens with a lot of Debian packages, and the answer lies somewhere
in the decision process that happens during testing leading up to a freeze.

For instance, even though PHP 7.1 was released and recognized as
(reasonably) stable a long time before the Stretch freeze, the PHP
maintainers opted to stay with PHP 7.0, even though this means backporting
security updates for 3.5 years after PHP 7.0 security support ends upstream
(a schedule that was known at the time the decision was made). Okay, PHP
7.1 isn't an upstream LTS, either, and it's not clear whether PHP will have
another LTS after PHP 5.6, but that's not really uncommon for upstreams.

PHP is also a fairly complex package set to maintain, with all its modules,
and I gather from hints dropped here that Django is, too, so lagging behind
the latest release even if it was released before testing freeze, is just
the way it goes.

--
Jan