[Python-modules-team] python-django_1.8.18-1~bpo8+1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Wed May 24 19:15:17 UTC 2017

Hello,

On Wed, 24 May 2017, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> An alternative idea would be to have two separate (source) packages in
> sid: django and django-lts. Then django-lts could be put into backports
> and so maintained according to the backport policy.

I don't really like the idea of a separate source package, it means more
security work, a lot of headaches for dependencies, upgrades, etc.

In my opinion, the only good solution is the following:
- maintain only LTS versions in unstable/testing
- keep non-LTS versions in experimental

Most of the (bigger) reverse dependencies of Django are interested in LTS
versions (or are at least expected to work with the latest LTS version).

Ideally we would make efforts to have a recent LTS version in new stable
releases of Debian. The upstream schedule is a bit off with Debian's
current schedule but they make a promise that if your application runs
without any warning in LTS, then it will also run in LTS+1. So we should
run plenty of checks on all applications available in Debian unstable with
the current LTS.

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.11/internals/release-process/#internal-release-deprecation-policy

With that in place, we could "safely" upload an LTS+1 pre-release in testing
just before the freeze and negotiate with the release team to upload
future point releases to stable.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer