[Python-modules-team] python-django_1.8.18-1~bpo8+1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Ian Campbell ijc at debian.org
Thu May 25 11:16:00 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-05-25 at 17:41 +1000, Brian May wrote:
> Ian Campbell <ijc at debian.org> writes:
>
> > Yet 1.10.x is going to be in Stretch, according to [0]? If users
> > want
> > LTS then why aren't we shipping that in our upcoming stable release
> > (whether its instead of or in addition to the latest release)?
>
> In general the Django LTS releases occur after on a cycle, several
> months after the Debian Freeze.
>
> Django 1.11 LTS was released in April 2017 for example. Even if we
> could
> get Django 1.11 in the freeze, as Raphael Hertzog was suggesting in
> another email, not sure how the release team would feel about this -
> and
> it would be up to them I think. There may be ways to ease the pain,
> however it would still be up to the release team.
>
> I seem to recall the same thing happened when Django 1.8 LTS was
> released, Jessie was already in freeze.
>
> The alternative option is that we use the previous LTS Django
> release. However, that would mean Jessie would still be on Django 1.4,
> which lost upstream support in 2015.

Jessie actually shipped with (non LTS) 1.7 which left support extended
support on December 1 2015, which is not all that different from the
end of extended support for 1.4 which was October 1, 2015.

> Similarly, if Stretch was released with 1.8 LTS (yes I know, this is not
> really an option anymore), Django 1.8 will loose support April next year
> - when Stretch is still supported.

Stretch is actually shipping 1.10 which ends December 2017, compared
with 1.8 which is "at least April 2018", so 1.8 is at least a bit
longer.

> We would basically be releasing Debian with a old LTS version of Django
> that is obsolete before Debian is even released.

The reality is we are shipping non-LTS versions which expire around the
same sort of times as the LTS version du-jour at the time of release.

Ian.