[Python-modules-team] Comments regarding python-css-parser_1.0.4-1_amd64.changes

Nicholas D Steeves nsteeves at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 03:46:57 GMT 2019

Dear Scott, Chris, and DPMT,

On Mon, Feb 04, 2019 at 01:44:47PM +0000, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> You are correct to include the copyright notice and license from src/
> css_parser/version.py in your debian/copyright.  It does, however, seem
> unlikley there there is anything actually copyrightable in that file.  You
> might want to take that up with upstream.

Thank you for reviewing and accepting python-css-parser.  I agree,
version.py does not seem to meet the minimum standard for
originality.  Do you mean I should ask upstream to drop their
copyright header for that file, or something else?

Examining the upstream git project (rather than the release tarballs
from PyPI) reveals many commits from Kovid Goyal and Francesco
Martini, plus COPYING (GPL-3+), COPYING.LESSER (LGPL-3+), and
CSSUTILS_README.txt.

If you'd like I could extend the Comment sections, saying something
about git committers, and elaborating on the "Author: Various People"
and "Author-email: redacted at anonymous.net" that upstream moved to in
this commit:
  https://github.com/ebook-utils/css-parser/commit/555805e58889bb0818b6684f5092612600288d7c

Alternatively, would you like to me ask upstream to document their
copyright holders? ;-)

Sincerely,
Nicholas