[Python-modules-team] Please remove dependency on mongodb - it will not be in buster

Ivo De Decker ivodd at debian.org
Sat Jan 12 15:32:09 GMT 2019

clone 916107 -1
retitle -1 Please remove (build-)dependency on mongodb for buster
clone -1 -2 -3 -4 -5 -6 -7 -8 -9
reassign -1 aodh 7.0.0-2
reassign -2 ceilometer 1:11.0.1-1
reassign -3 golang-github-juju-testing 0.0~git20170608.2fe0e88-3
reassign -4 libmongodb-perl 2.0.2-1
reassign -5 loofah 0.1-1
reassign -6 mongo-java-driver 3.6.3-1
reassing -7 nextepc 0.3.10+nods-2
reassign -8 zaqar 5.0.0-3
reassign -9 apache-log4j2 2.11.1-1
thanks

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 09:31:19AM +0100, Ivo De Decker wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 11:01:11AM +0200, Apollon Oikonomopoulos wrote:
> > MongoDB should not be part of (at least) Buster for the following
> > reasons:
> >
> >  - MongoDB 3.4 will be EOL by June 2019[1], which is way too soon for it
> >    to be included in Buster.
> >
> >  - MongoDB 3.6 and 4.0 will be supported longer, but upstream's switch
> >    to SSPLv1 complicates matters. As discussed in #915537, we will not
> >    be distributing any SSPL-licensed software, and keeping the last
> >    AGPL-licensed version (3.6.8 or 4.0.3) without the ability to
> >    cherry-pick upstream fixes is not a viable option. (I am currently
> >    not considering distributing mongodb in non-free.)
> >
> > I will not request removal immediately, to allow other packages time to
> > adjust their dependencies, but eventually auto-removal will kick in.
>
> The auto-removals (from testing) will not kick in, because mongodb is a key
> package. You'll need to file RC bugs against the rdeps. It's probably best to
> make those bugs block this bug, to allow easy tracking.
>
> For reference, the current output for dak rm -Rn -s testing mongodb is
>
> Checking reverse dependencies...
> # Broken Depends:
> golang-github-juju-testing: golang-github-juju-testing-dev
> loofah: python-loofah
> nextepc: nextepc-hss [amd64 arm64 ppc64el s390x]
>          nextepc-pcrf [amd64 arm64 ppc64el s390x]
>
> # Broken Build-Depends:
> aodh: mongodb
> ceilometer: mongodb
> golang-github-juju-testing: mongodb-server
> libmongodb-perl: mongodb-server
> mongo-java-driver: mongodb-server
> zaqar: mongodb
>

> Please note that some of these are also key packages with rdeps that might
> need to be updated.

I cloned this bug and reassigned the clones to the rdeps. Obviously, some of
these packages are mongodb-specific and the only way forward will be to remove
them. For the others, please remove the mongodb (build-)dependency.

Thanks,

Ivo