[Python-modules-team] Packaging pyyaml v5.1.1

merkys at debian.org merkys at debian.org
Fri Jul 12 07:03:04 BST 2019

Hello,

I am interested in switching pyyaml from v3.* to v5.1.1. I have prepared
the package for v5.1.1 in 'debian/experimental' GIT branch of packaging
repository [1]. The API of the new version is not backwards-compatible,
thus upload to unstable would break some packages. If I am right, a
transition should be initiated because of that, starting with an upload
to experimental [2]. Is it OK to upload the package to experimental from
'debian/experimental' GIT branch? My rationale is to leave the master
branch untouched for possible patches/fixes of v3.*.

Best,
Andrius

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/modules/pyyaml
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/ReleaseTeam/Transitions