[Python-modules-team] Upcoming Breaking Changes and Roadmap for urllib3 v2.0

Seth Michael Larson sethmichaellarson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 01:04:27 BST 2020

Hello,

I’m Seth, lead maintainer of urllib3. I’m sending this email as a notice of
upcoming changes to urllib3.

Our team is planning on releasing a v2.0
<https://urllib3.readthedocs.io/en/latest/v2-roadmap.html>, the first
release with compatibility-breaking changes in over 9 years, and we wanted
to make you aware of the scope of the changes. Please forward this message
along to others within your organization if necessary. Among the many
changes, these are the highlights:

• Dropping support for Python 2.7 and 3.5

    • v1.26.x will be our last v1.x release stream that supports Python 2

• Modern Security by Default

    • HTTPS connections will default to TLS 1.2+

    • Dropping support for the commonName field on certificates

• Support for Tracing information on Responses

    • Resolved IP address, timings for DNS / first response byte, TLS and
certificate info

• Support for Static Type Checking via Type Hints

There is more information and features available on the v2.0 Roadmap
<https://urllib3.readthedocs.io/en/latest/v2-roadmap.html> and in the v2.0
Milestone on GitHub <https://github.com/urllib3/urllib3/milestone/6>. Let
me know if you have any questions about v2.0.

Thanks much,

Seth Michael Larson