[Qa-debsources] spdx-export issue

Orestis Ioannou orestis at oioannou.com
Sun Nov 15 19:38:27 UTC 2015

Heya,

So the thing is:

Each license is tied to a License Reference.
So taking for example:

	File: foo.bar
	License: GPL3

If the license is standard then this will get translated into spdx as:

	FileName: foo.bar
	LicenseConcluded: GPL3

If it is not standard then LicenseConcluded becomes LicenseRef-n where n
is just a number to identify the license. So if we had

	File: foo.bar
	License: FSF-unlimited

This will become:

	FileName: foo.bar
	LicenseConcluded: LicenseRef-0

At the end of the spdx document we then have

	LicenseID: LicenseRef-0
	ExtractedText: <text> the license's text</text>
	LicenseName: FSF-unlimited

So far so good. The problem arises when we have for example:

	LicenseId: LicenseRef-1
	LicenseName: FSF-unlimited, and GPL-2+ with Libtool exception or GPL-3+

What extracted text should I add here?
In the d/copyright file this is not a problem since one can just split
the licenses and give the extracted text for each license separately.
In spdx this cannot happen as the license id is tied to a license
applied in a file.

- Should i add all the texts we have in the same place?? (fsf then gpl2
then libtool.. or at least all the texts i can extract from the
d/copyright file) This is not really good i think..
- In the documentation normally extracted text is mandatory but if we
don't add any text do you think it is that much trouble? :p

I think that this is the only issue missing a solution for the export
(well the only one i found).
I hope i didn't confuse you :p

Cheers,

Orestis