[Qa-debsources] spdx-export issue

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Mon Nov 16 11:09:16 UTC 2015

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 08:38:27PM +0100, Orestis Ioannou wrote:
> What extracted text should I add here?
> In the d/copyright file this is not a problem since one can just split
> the licenses and give the extracted text for each license separately.
> In spdx this cannot happen as the license id is tied to a license
> applied in a file.

Is the following a fair summary of the problem you described:

  in d/copyright the "extracted text" is attached to the *mapping*
  between files (via glob patterns) and licenses; whereas in SPDX the
  extracted text is associated to the licenses themselves.

?

If yes, it seems to me that, for each value of the License field in a
given d/copyright, we can end up in exactly one of the following two
situations:

1) the license value is used in at most one Files paragraph. If so, we
   should use the free form text that follows the License field in that
   paragraph as extracted text for that "license"

2) the license value is used in more than one Files paragraph. In this
   case the free form texts might be different and we don't know which
   one to use. I confess I'd apply some "dumb" heuristic here, e.g.,
   pick the first one in file order

If my summary is incorrect, please explain :) (maybe with a complete
d/copyright and SPDX example?)

Hope this helps,
Cheers.
--