[Qa-debsources] upcoming SSL cert expiry and letsencrypt

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Wed Nov 25 12:57:55 UTC 2015

Heya,
  the current SSL certificate used by sources.debian.net will expire on
2015-12-19. It was free (as in free beer), offered by GlobalSign to all
Free Software projects, and it can be renewed for free via the same
program.

OTOH, Let's Encrypt should enter Public Beta on 2015-12-03 [1], and
starting from that date it should be possible for everyone to get a free
certificate from them.

[1]: https://letsencrypt.org/2015/11/12/public-beta-timing.html

Question for us is: do we want to renew via GlobalSign or, given the
timing, just go for Let's Encrypt? I'm inclined to prefer Let's Encrypt,
because I like the project a lot.

The only caveat is that it's easier to keep on doing something we've
been doing up to now (in this case: something I have been doing) than to
switch to something new. Which brings me to the next question: is anyone
interested in volunteering into obtaining a Let's Encrypt certificate
for sources.debian.net, once that become possible? I'll be *very* happy
to pass that responsibility on to someone else, as long as it's someone
who is already a Debsources contributor. I can then work with that
person to install the certificate on the current Debsources server.

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack at upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o
Former Debian Project Leader . . . . . @zacchiro . . . . o o o . . . o .