[Qa-debsources] upcoming SSL cert expiry and letsencrypt

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Thu Nov 26 10:35:04 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 10:59:22PM +0100, Matthieu Caneill wrote:
> > I am really interested in lets encrypt and i am interested in doing this
> > for Debsources, BUT, I have never installed SSL certificates and never
> > really saw configs etc so there would be some learning curve for me. If
> > you can bear me  then i am happy to take the responsibility..

Great, thanks :)

> However I can back you up with the certificate installation
> instructions for Apache, if needed. But as we already use SSL, it
> should be a matter of replacing the key files.

That's correct. And thanks to you too. Sounds like you and Orestis are a
well-formed team for handling this :)

> Zack: do you know for how long the Let's Encrypt certificates will be
> valid? 1 year?

3 months, the rationale is here (and I agree with it):

  https://letsencrypt.org/2015/11/09/why-90-days.html

So in addition to one-off certificate, what it will need doing is
actually automating the renewal process, so that we have to worry only
once about the setup.

FWIW, there is a letsencrypt package in Debian already:

  https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/python-letsencrypt

but it's only in experimental for now, and it looks like it still has
some dependency issues.

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack at upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o