[Qa-debsources] upcoming SSL cert expiry and letsencrypt

Orestis Ioannou orestis at oioannou.com
Wed Dec 2 01:12:37 UTC 2015

heya,

So to install it on wheezy one need to clone the repo and then run
letsencrypt-auto
It will install these dependencies from apt:

git python python-dev python-virtualenv gcc dialog libaugeas0 libssl-dev
libffi-dev ca-certificates

and then it creates a virtual env and install lets-encrypt from pypi.
You don't have to run the script as root (in the file it says not
recommended) but it will require sudo to install the deps.

You can launch letsencrypt-auto to get only a cert (without configuring
apache etc) by specifying the domain and email,

There is another option: running it inside docker. This avoids
installing the dependencies system wide.
They have the dockerfile and the command to start it.. Once you run
letsencrypt by specifying the domain it will get the certificate and put
it in the host machine.. (thats what the docs say.. couldn't test it
because it fails due to my email not in the beta) So i guess the next
step would just be to replace the certs since apache is already
configuered.. I ll test this better (getting a cert etc when the public
beta is on)

Anyway both ways require sudo at some time so what do you think its the
best way to proceed?

Cheers,

Orestis