[Qa-debsources] [GSoc] Technology Discussion

Matthieu Caneill matt at brokenwa.re
Mon May 9 08:29:58 UTC 2016

Hey devoxel!

Thanks for the email :)
Comments below.

On Sat, May 07, 2016 at 03:15:16PM +0100, Aaron Delaney wrote:
> Firstly I'd like to official say how happy I am to be working on Debian this
> summer for GSoc with the great mentors matthieucan and orestis.
> I don't think I've mentioned it in qa-debsources yet, so hello!

I think I can speak for the whole team and say we're happy too!

> Since the first goal is to make it look reasonable on mobile screens,
> the first thing I'll go over is what I've learnt regarding "responsive"[1]
> frameworks.

Agreed.

> - Bootstrap is feature bloated and has many parts. However we can use a
> custom
>   configuration [3] to take out the parts we don't need
> - Uses a lot of preset visual styles. This makes many bootstrap web pages
>   look similar, although this could be tuned by modifying the SASS variables
>   See [3]

How does it work w.r.t. the Debian bootstrap package?
In any case, we want to keep the Debian visual, to make it look like
the other Debian apps.

> ## PureCSS [4]
> ## Skeleton [5]
> ## Foundation [6]

ACK, thanks for the research.

> Okay so that's all I'll cover now, I'll send more technology updates soon.

Looking forward!

> The main things I'm looking into now are the client side JavaScript
> rendering
> libraries like AngularJS or React as well as native mobile application
> frameworks like PhoneGap.

Cool. One thing to also keep in mind is how different libraries work
together smoothly or not (that may not be obvious though).

> If you have any suggestions on things to look into for these aspects of the
> project please do provide input!

Yes: the fact a library is packaged or not in Debian is also an
important point to consider. That eases deployment, maintenance, and
also the packaging of Debsources (which doesn't exist yet, but,
*cough*, is somewhere on my todo list).

Thanks again for your efforts!

Cheers,
--