[Qa-debsources] [GSoc] Technology Discussion

Aaron Delaney aaron.delaney29 at mail.dcu.ie
Sun May 22 16:36:26 UTC 2016

Hello all again!

I've just now moved back to my house and I'm getting setup for regular work
on Debsources. In this email I'll discuss a few things: meeting times, my
report plans, work for next week, discussion of frameworks and details
regarding the Trello board.

### Meetings & Reports

Meetings wise maybe we should start with the regular Tuesday ones? Since
that
was somewhat a plan IIRC in the other thread. It's up to yous though, I'll
be
working my worktimes around you.

On top of meetings I'll be sending out a weekly report to Debian. I plan to
write these on Saturday and Sunday and have them sent out by Monday. This
will
also remind you of the work last week and assist the meeting we have on
Tuesday.

### Proposed Work for the 23rd May -> 29th May

Prototype the initial view of the dynamic grid version of debsources. The
homepage, the navigational features. Work will be done from most general or
often seen to smaller more specific parts of the rendering.

This of course requires us to make an initial choice on responsive
frameworks.
Refer to my research in the last email, I propose that I initially start
with
flow as opposed to bootstrap. Do provide input into this please :)

I will not be able to work on the 24th of May as my final Uni commitment,
the
final year project expo, is on, and I've to show face. Thanks for your
patience
thus far, I appreciate it.

I will also need to work on the research for the SPA frameworks. I haven't
got
as thorough an understanding on different data models as I would like. In
frameworks like these, you tend to see very specific ways of looking at the
way
data moves around the application.

### Discussion of Single Page App

> Yes: the fact a library is packaged or not in Debian is also an
important point to consider.

This is a good point and something I wasn't thinking about until I read that
email. From what I see react does NOT have a debian package. The popular
SPA frameworks in jessie are: [AngularJS](https://angularjs.org/) and
[Backbone.js](http://backbonejs.org/).

I will lean towards something that just minimizes update and event logic.
That's very slow development wise and is one of the big issues these
frameworks
set out to solve.

I will compare and contrast these libraries with regards to development on
debsources this week as part of my work plan. I may blog it -- as well
as being included in my email to the GSoc Debian Coordinators.

### Regarding the Trello board

Later this evening I will attend to updating the Trello board to make it up
date with the information in the email. orestis gave me some tips but more
would be appreciated!

I assume you're accustomed to the model!

Thanks a million,

Aaron Delaney