[Qa-debsources] [GSoc] Technology Discussion

Aaron Delaney aaron.delaney29 at mail.dcu.ie
Mon May 23 02:28:35 UTC 2016

Hey all!

Sorry for late response.

> flow

This was an odd brainfart. I meant to
say purecss, due to its lack of js.
However without a debian package this
may be an issue. What do you think?

> > > Ok. Let me add a constraint here. Using a library shouldn't make
> > > people without javascript unable to see the content. So the content
> > > must be present somehow without javascript, and the links must fall
> > > back to regular links when the framework can't ajax the data.

I agree with this fully.

> > Just dropping an idea: what about using a noscript tag to assure
> > compatibility?
>
> Yes that is totally an option, but as it will require somehow to
> duplicate the tree structure of the content (in e.g. html/angular and
> in noscript), it needs to be carefully taken of to avoid template
> duplication. And that's not trivial at all :)

That is correct. I think it will certainly involve noscript.

> default content is the one of
> the page initially fetched, while links either make the content of the
> zones refreshed, or redirect the user to a new page when there is no
> js. I don't know if it is straightforward to do.

Interesting idea, I imagine the most
pragmatic soloution will involve breaking
the componants of the site to more
general modules. So the data needed to
display the site will have an
AJAX/websocket endpoint the dynamic
client can connect to.

I imagine for this work we will need to
run mocha or a similar testing library on
the site. I cant think of way to do run
these tests without a browser or node.

This will need to be looked into this
week.

I have updated the trello with my plan
and information.

Expect an email tomorrow after I rest
from all this travel and family. I will
finalize meeting times then. I'll be on IRC
too if you need me!

Talk soon,

Aaron