[Qa-jenkins-dev] Simon Richter: Why sysvinit?

Steven Chamberlain steven at pyro.eu.org
Sun Mar 6 20:55:06 UTC 2016

Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> You've got me excited to work on this now...  I may as well just
> implement the above on kfreebsd and leave you to only write the
> tests and the linux-specific part?

Here are the beginnings of a sysvinit test on kfreebsd:
http://jenkins.kfreebsd.eu/jenkins/view/initsystem/job/initsystem_boot_sysvinit/4/console

I want the script to support various ${BOOT_METHOD}s, and be able to
choose those with a job parameter.  That way the shell script can be
shared for different job configurations.

I've started with a simple BSD jails implementation, which only really
tests the runlevel "2" scripts at the moment.  It uses "jexec" to get a
shell inside the jail;  but next I want to add a new ${TEST_METHOD}
based on SSH, which will need some pre-configuration of SSH in the
chroot.

Then I should implement a new ${BOOT_METHOD} using Qemu to boot a whole
VM from that chroot;  it will be more difficult, but should be suitable
for linux too, and then we can think about getting it onto jenkins.d.n.

Let me know if this does seem practical.  (I'm designing it to be able
to test different architectures right from the start, to try to avoid
duplication of effort).

The code so far is here:
http://pyro.eu.org/git/?p=jenkins.debian.net;a=history;f=bin/initsystem_boot.sh;h=76c3458efa60be87545ea50559323088e2afb8c9;hb=refs/heads/initsystem

The sid chroot was built by another job (running every 6 hours):
http://jenkins.kfreebsd.eu/jenkins/view/initsystem/job/debootstrap_sid/lastBuild/console

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain