[Reproducible-builds] General plan for reproducible timestamps in documentation
infinity0 at pwned.gg
Mon Mar 30 11:59:44 UTC 2015
TL;DR: see https://gitweb.torproject.org/debian/flashproxy.git/diff/?id=92add337b86303a1&id2=8f7d498ac729086c^
1. We have dh (and/or other tools) set a standard environment variable, SOURCEDATE, according to the package's changelog
2. We create wrappers that use "faketime -f" to run various documentation generators. During the build, we set PATH to include these wrappers.
3. We try to persuade upstream to support SOURCEDATE. As they add this support, we can remove the corresponding wrapper.
- *at most* 2-line change for package maintainers, or possibly even no changes if dh/cdbs is good
- works even if upstream is stubborn or uncooperative
- we selectively use faketime only for specific tools (doc generators) that don't have a problem with it
- actually we could generalise this to any tool that works with faketime, not just doc generators
- I can't think of any, but I guess this mailing list will find some. :)
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 819 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
More information about the Reproducible-builds