[Resolvconf-devel] [Fwd: NetworkManager: resolvconf]

Thomas Hood jdthood at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 5 16:50:04 UTC 2006

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: NetworkManager: resolvconf
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 23:16:35 +0200
From: Michael Biebl <michael.biebl at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>
To: Thomas Hood <jdthood at yahoo.co.uk>

Hi Thomas,

I'm currently working on integrating NM properly into resolvconf and
ifupdown (resp. the other way around). Looking at resolvconf it seems
that if I call dhclient manually,
/etc/dhcp3/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/resolvconf is called to update
/etc/resolv.conf. For NM this means, that it simply has to check if
/sbin/resolvconf exists, and if so, don't touch /etc/resolv.conf.
Eveything works automatically then.

But if I use ifup for an dhcp enabled interface, resolvconf seems to be
called twice: once by ifupdown:
 /etc/network/if-up.d/000resolvconf
and then by dhclient:
 /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/resolvconf
Is this observation correct? Or does ifup call dhclient with a special
parameter to not call /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/resolvconf?

I fear, if I integrate support into NM to call the scripts in
/etc/network/if-*.d/ , resolvconf will be called twice. Or is this
absolutely ok, and just a bit a waste of resources?

Hope you can help me with this.

Cheers,
Michael
--
Unix IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.