[Resolvconf-devel] [Fwd: resolvconf in Gentoo]

Thomas Hood jdthood at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 8 07:25:10 UTC 2006

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: resolvconf in Gentoo
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 01:56:04 +0100
From: Roy Marples <uberlord at gentoo.org>
To: jdthood at yahoo.co.uk

Hi Thomas

I'm a maintainer of Gentoo baselayout - basically the system init scripts.
I've taken your resolvconf package and given it a thorough revamp for gentoo
and pure bash (no temp files used) whilst keeping the original concept and
config intact. The only thing left intact is the man page - lol. On the man
page I've said it's written by me and based very heavily on your work. I hope
this is OK, if not let me know and I'll change it.

The Gentoo version relies on a baselayout provided generic script to provide
the uniqify function (echoed as a string instead of a fixed var) and
einfo/ewarn/eerror functions to provide pretty printing and logging. However,
these are trivial to remove / add to resolvconf directly.

Also, resolvconf is self contained in Gentoo - there is no listinterfaces or
other external stuff.

Lastly, the files in update.d (not provided in the gentoo  ebuild, they will
be punted to the proper ebuilds (dnsmasq, bind)) don't create temporary files
and they also work in a nicer way. Basically DHCP clients always set their
domain(s) in the search field, whereas it's trivial to set openvpn's to the
domain field. So we make the assumtion that a "search" directive means it's a
generic nameserver and a "domain" directive means it's a namesever purely for
that domain. libc just takes the lot and stops at localhost, but this new way
for dnsmasq and bind works really well for me using openvpn.

The package is available at http://dev.gentoo.org/~uberlord/resolvconf-gentoo/

Just a FYI and thanks for a great idea. If you're interested in incorporating
my stuff, let me know.

Thanks

--
Roy Marples <uberlord at gentoo.org>