[Resolvconf-devel] Re: maintaining resolvconf

Eric Evans eevans at sym-link.com
Mon Jul 3 23:16:49 UTC 2006

I assert that Thomas Hood said the following on Wed, May 03, 2006 at 08:22:08AM +0200:
> Eric Evans wrote:
> > Sure, I'll have a look at it.
>
> OK.  The author's package might contain some ideas with enough benefits
> to outweigh the pain and risk of making changes to Debian resolvconf,
> which is currently working well.  I am not too impressed with the fact
> that he doesn't use temporary files.  Use of temporary file and "mv"
> makes the replacement operation atomic, which is important.

Sorry it took me so long to respond to this. I did take a look back in
May, (0.3 at the time), but for some reason never managed to put an
email together. So, I pulled down Roy's latest today, (1.0), and went
over it again.

The question I had back in May, and that I found myself asking again
today was, "why?". It strikes me as a re-implementation for the sake of
it.

I had to go back to the email you referenced[1] to get an idea of what
might have motivated him to start over. I've reposted it here and
added some comments in-line.

The elimination of temporary files seems to have been one of the primary
motivators. I'm not sure why this was a problem, and as you already
stated, this comes at the expense of losing atomic file replacement.

> The only thing left intact is the man page - lol. On the man
> page I've said it's written by me and based very heavily on your work. I hope
> this is OK, if not let me know and I'll change it.
>
> The Gentoo version relies on a baselayout provided generic script to provide
> the uniqify function (echoed as a string instead of a fixed var) and
> einfo/ewarn/eerror functions to provide pretty printing and logging. However,
> these are trivial to remove / add to resolvconf directly.
>
> Also, resolvconf is self contained in Gentoo - there is no listinterfaces or
> other external stuff.

It is definitely more self-contained, but I don't think this is a change
for the better. As an example, while I've never done so, I see it as a
feature that you can edit interface-order and have your changes preserved
across upgrades.

> Lastly, the files in update.d (not provided in the gentoo  ebuild, they will
> be punted to the proper ebuilds (dnsmasq, bind)) don't create temporary files
> and they also work in a nicer way. Basically DHCP clients always set their
> domain(s) in the search field, whereas it's trivial to set openvpn's to the
> domain field. So we make the assumtion that a "search" directive means it's a
> generic nameserver and a "domain" directive means it's a namesever purely for
> that domain. libc just takes the lot and stops at localhost, but this new way
> for dnsmasq and bind works really well for me using openvpn.

This bit is either clever, or totally wrong. I'm not sure I grok this
part correctly.

> The package is available at http://dev.gentoo.org/~uberlord/resolvconf-gentoo/
>
> Just a FYI and thanks for a great idea. If you're interested in incorporating
> my stuff, let me know.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Roy Marples <uberlord at gentoo.org>
> Gentoo Linux Developer

In summary, I didn't find anything that would meet the "...enough
benefits to outweigh the pain and risk of making changes to Debian
resolvconf..." criteria. :)

[1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/resolvconf-devel/2006-April/000023.html

--
Eric Evans