[Resolvconf-devel] Superfluous debconf notes

Thomas Hood jdthood at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 26 14:58:04 UTC 2006

Thanks for the bug report.

The bad-hook notes are there because the hook scripts in question,
if present, cause resolvconf to malfunction.  The notes give
details about the problem.

I believe that these notes can now be dropped since the scripts
in question were removed from packages some time ago and probably
aren't to be found on systems any more.  For example, few people
ever installed the (pre-sarge) xisp and the number that did install
it, then removed it without purging it, and now install resolvconf,
and experience problems because of the leftover xisp hook script,
must be very small.  The disable-bad-hooks question and the
associated maintainer script code could also be stripped out.

Having said this... removing these notes is of very low urgency.
The notes are only shown if the hook scripts are found on the
system.

As for the downup-interfaces note....  I think it still provides
information that is useful in case name service is broken after
the resolvconf package is installed.

> As such, a note should only be used for IMPORTANT stuff,
> so actually all debconf notes should be priority high....or
> should not exist.

The downup-interfaces note is important if the installation breaks
name service on the system (a low-probability event, experience
suggests).  Otherwise it is not important.  As a compromise, the note
is displayed at medium priority.  (Not an ideal solution, obviously,
but it's difficult to implement a better alternative.)

> Please consider one of the following options:
>
> - move the text of the debconf note to the README.Debian file. The drawback
>   is that the text will not be translatable anymore, which will be worked
>   in the future. However, given that your note is very rarely displayed,
>   this is indeed not a very strong drawback

Maybe we should do this.

> - change the template type to "error" in case this note is meant to be
>   displayed only in some cases when a problem shows up during execution of
>   the maintainer's scripts. Please check debconf-devel(7) for details

Doesn't seem to be appropriate here.

> - raise the priority to "high". This should be the last option to consider.
>   It should be used only in cases where you judge that the information you
>   display is VITAL for users of your package and that one could NOT USE IT
>   if not reading the note.

Most people can simply install resolvconf.  A few people will experience
problems after installing resolvconf and might benefit from the tip given
in the downup-interfaces note.  However, that info could be given in the
README.Debian file.  So, OK, let's move the downup-interfaces note to
README.Debian next time we are working on that part of the package.

Cheers!
--
Thomas Hood