[Resolvconf-devel] lintian resolvconf concerns: possible debconf note abuse and translation issues?

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Wed Jun 18 05:26:26 UTC 2008

Quoting Daniel Kahn Gillmor (dkg-debian.org at fifthhorseman.net):

> However, this looks like it might cause noise and unnecessary hassle
> for our translators for not much gain.  Christian, can you comment on
> whether making this change to satisfy lintian (and by extension,
> debconf) is going to cause unnecessary grief for translators of
> resolvconf?

I would suggest keeping it for post-lenny.

> As for the debconf-note abuse, the note in question is:
>
> Template: resolvconf/downup-interfaces
> Type: note
>  Once resolvconf is installed, interface configurers supply name server
>  information to it (which it then makes available to the C library resolver
>  and to DNS caches). However, they do this only when they bring up interfaces.
>  Therefore for resolvconf's name server information to be up to date after
>  initial installation it is necessary to reconfigure interfaces (that is,
>  to take them down and then to bring them up again) and to restart
>  DNS caches.
>
> and it's triggered at a "medium" debconf priority, which means that
> most installations will never see it.  Should we just drop this note,
> since it's already covered in step 5 of the HOWTO in
> /usr/share/doc/resolvconf/README.gz ?

Yes. That information is exactly what IMHO is debconf "abuse". You
have a note that will not be seen on default installs....so, by
definition, it is not important information....and non important
information should not use debconf notes..:-)

This is #388956, indeed..:-)

Thans for taking care about asking and thinking about the impact on
translators, Daniel, this is much appreciated.

> Or should we add lintian overrides for either of these concerns to
> make the package "lintian clean"?

My final recommendation would be dropping the note.