[Resolvconf-devel] Planned change to resolvconf

Thomas Hood jdthood at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 09:32:37 UTC 2011

Hi Ubuntu resolvconf maintainers,

At http://packages.qa.debian.org/resolvconf I read resolvconf_1.47ubuntu1-1.patch
to see what Ubuntu does to the package.  I found your name in there so I thought
I'd write you to give you advanced warning of a planned change to the Debian package.

In the next release I am planning to move the code that configures symlinks and
directories.  Currently it is in the the postinst but I will move it to the preinst.
This will allow /sbin/resolvconf to be run successfully as soon as it appears.
The postinst will trigger an update of the resolv.conf file.  This should solve
Debian bug #551999/#563386.

The latter bugs arise in the following way.

  * User does apt-get install dnsmasq resolvconf
  * dnsmasq is unpacked
  * resolvconf is unpacked
  * dnsmasq postinst calls /sbin/resolvconf which reports missing run directory
  * resolvconf postinst creates run directory and writes resolv.conf which is
    missing dnsmasq's 127.0.0.1 address

After the change the following should occur.

  * User does apt-get install dnsmasq resolvconf
  * resolvconf preinst creates run directory
  * dnsmasq is unpacked
  * resolvconf is unpacked
  * dnsmasq postinst calls /sbin/resolvconf
  * resolvconf postinst writes resolv.conf which correctly includes dnsmasq's address

Comments welcome.
--
Thomas Hood
Debian resolvconf maintainers <resolvconf-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org>