[Resolvconf-devel] piuparts complaints about resolvconf 1.52

Thomas Hood jdthood at gmail.com
Wed May 18 08:46:32 UTC 2011

Looking at http://packages.qa.debian.org/r/resolvconf.html today
I see that resolvconf fails piuparts testing.  The log is:

resolvconf (resolvconf maintainers <resolvconf-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org>)
    dependency lsb-base is essential-required
    dependency initscripts is essential-required
    dependency debconf is essential-required

What should we do about this?

The complaint about resolvconf's dependency on initscripts
must be spurious.  The dependency is versioned.  Resolvconf 1.52
requires initscripts 2.88dsf-13.3 or later.

Resolvconf's dependency on debconf is also versioned, so
perhaps this message is also spurious.

Resolvconf's dependency on lsb-base is not versioned.  I know
that it's improper to depend upon an Essential: yes package,
but lsb-base is not Essential: yes.

Lsb-base is, however, Priority: required.  But I couldn't find anything
in policy which says it is an error to depend upon a Priority: required
package.

What do you think?

Assuming that some or all of the error messages are spurious,
is there some way of overriding them, as with lintian?
--
Thomas