[Resolvconf-devel] What do we need to do to make the Ubuntu version?

Thomas Hood jdthood at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 13:11:37 UTC 2011

Sander, others,

Marco and I plan to release the current git HEAD as Debian resolvconf 1.62.

Question for this thread: What do we need to do to make the Ubuntu
version of this?

1. Handle transition to /run

The resolvconf 1.62 maintainer scripts are carefully crafted to handle
the transition to /run in Debian.

AIUI Ubuntu is also introducing /run.  I hope and presume that after
this Debian and Ubuntu packages can use the same locations for
run-time state files.

But the starting point is different.  In Debian resolvconf formerly
used /lib/init/rw/ (having earlier used /dev/shm/) whereas in Ubuntu
resolvconf used /var/run/.  Consequently Ubuntu resolvconf had
different maintainer scripts: the Ubuntu postinst (version
1.48ubuntu1) creates the target directory /var/run/resolvconf/ rather
than /lib/init/rw/.

     http://patches.ubuntu.com/r/resolvconf/resolvconf_1.48ubuntu1.patch

Maintainer scripts version 1.62 need to copy run-time files to
/run/resolvconf/ and update the /etc/resolvconf/run symlink.  The
Ubuntu versions of these maintainer scripts have and do this *from*
/var/run/resolvconf/ rather than from /lib/init/rw/resolvconf/.

2. Add upstart support

What is needed for this?

3. Carry over Ubuntu tweaks
3a. /sbin/resolvconf exits if /etc/resolv.conf is not a symlink
3b. debian/control Maintainer, XSBC-Original-Maintainer stuff
3c. debian/changelog entries for Ubuntu
3d. debian/rules dh_installinit has different init sequence numbers

Regarding #3d: AIUI init sequence numbers are obsolete in the upstart
world. Yet initscripts are still present in Ubuntu.  And on startup it
is still necessary to do the equivalent of "/etc/init.d/resolvconf
start" which, as of resolvconf 1.62 is simply:

        resolvconf --create-runtime-directories
        resolvconf --enable-updates

So what do we do with the dh_installinit command?

4. Dependencies

Debian resolvconf 1.62 depends on initscripts (>= 2.88dsf-13.6).  Does
this need to be different in Ubuntu?

5. ...?

What else needs to be changed for the Ubuntu version?

--
Thomas