[Rsbackup-maint] Bug fixes in rsbackup 8.0 for Debian 12

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Sep 5 22:04:39 BST 2023

CCing the Debian maintainer (via the appropriate role address).

Richard Kettlewell writes ("Re: Bug fixes in rsbackup 8.0 for Debian 12"):
> On 30/08/2023 14:37, Samuel Wolf wrote:
> > Is there any chance to get this backported into Debian 12?
> > Should I open a (Debian) bug report for the rsbackup package?
>
> That's outside my control - a bug report is probably the best option.

I would be happy to sponsor an upload.  (I have a lot of gatekeeping
authority as a Debian Developer, but not so much effort.  So my usual
policy is that I am happy to advise, to double-check others' work, and
if applicable to apply my rubber stamp.)

The instructions from the Stable Release Managers on what would make a
good stable update are here:

  https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/08/msg00000.html

As sponsor I'd want the proponents to (attempt to)

  (i) Ensure that Debian bugs are filed for those of the bugs that
      are serious enough to warrant fixing via a stable update,
      and that they have the correct version information.
      See  https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
           https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer
	   https://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control

  (ii) Prepare a suitable git branch containing the correct code,
      including correct Debian metadata (probably it would be best to
      start with "dgit clone rsbackup bookworm" and git-cherry-pick
      appropriate commits).

  (iii) Write the responses to the questions in the "reportbug"
      template (best approach to this is to run the command
          reportbug release.debian.org
      answer the questions, then save the email to a file,
      and quit wiithout sending it.

This wouldn't all have to be done by the same people.  For example,
perhaps Richard could provide a stable upstream release branch.

To see the kinds of questions and answers involved in proposing a
stable update, see here:
(When the template asks for a debdiff, if you used dgit clone,
a git diff against dgit/dgit/bookworm is suitable.  So you don't need
to prepare that, but it's a good idea to eyeball it.)

Ian.

--
Ian Jackson <ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk>   These opinions are my own.

Pronouns: they/he.  If I emailed you from @fyvzl.net or @evade.org.uk,
that is a private address which bypasses my fierce spamfilter.