[sane-devel] Questions from new backend developers

Tim Waugh twaugh@redhat.com
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 23:28:22 +0100

--cDtQGJ/EJIRf/Cpq

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 07:35:11PM +0200, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

> > On an aside, I noticed there have been a few questions about
> > running parallel scanners non-root today. Has anyone got any ideas
> > about this? Since I use libieee1284, my backend runs perfectly as
> > a user.
>=20
> How does it work? Does it use a kernel driver?

It tries to use ppdev if it is available; if not, it tries ioperm or
/dev/port.  The idea is that it tries all available methods until it
finds one that works. (Under FreeBSD, it would try /dev/io, for
instance, although that code isn't written yet.)

> I think it's ok to include libieee1284 into SANE. But before the
> backend authors will use it instead of their own impementations, it
> should support the platforms that are currently supported (at least
> that would be my opinion, if I maintained a parport backend).

Of course.  The other thing to bear in mind at this stage is that the
API for libieee1284 will change when I get some time to code on it.
There are several missing features that need to be added, and there
might be incompatible interface changes to come.

> I'm not sure if this works for all the parport backends/drivers (e.g.
> sanei_ab306 or sanei_pa4s2).

It would be great if someone could port this code into libieee1284
so that other applications can benefit from it..

Tim.
*/

--cDtQGJ/EJIRf/Cpq

--cDtQGJ/EJIRf/Cpq--