[sane-devel] SuSE support database: strange solution for "scanner not found" probelms?

Mon, 20 Aug 2001 19:23:49 +0200

Hi,

Thomas Gieseler told me about an entry in the SuSE support database
(http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/pohletz_xsane_noscanner.html) that is
about what to do when XSane doesn't find a scanner even if it's
definitely there. SuSE writes that a segfault in umax causes this
problem. They propose two solutions:

1: Add "/dev/scanner" in v4l.conf. Yes, that's right, in the
   configuration file for the Video for Linux backend. Any idea what's
   the reason for this? If /dev/scanner points to a SCSI device, the
   v4l ioctl will simply fail, won't it?

2: The socond solution is to diable umax in dll.conf, which would be
   more appropriate if the source of the problem were correct.

I don't know of any such problem and the 1. solution seems to be
quiete starnge for me. Has nay of the developers contacted SuSE about
this?