[sane-devel] Sane-1.0.6 Testsuite (Failure)

Sat, 1 Dec 2001 19:47:00 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 05:52:23PM -0500, Stephen Torri wrote:
> I can try it with "--enable-warnings". I was trying out testsuite to
> ensure that the sane-backend was working correctly.

"make test" currently only tests the pnm backend. The reason is, that
it doesn't make much sense to test the other backends beacuse you
don't know which scanner the user has (or if it is already configured).

> The extra documentation with examples showing a typical test would be
> nice. I have an HP 4100C so do I use instead "./configure
> --enable-hp-backend"?

No. The test is for the pnm backend. The pnm backend is for testing
frontends. It's just not enabled by default beacuse you usually don't
need it. The hp and all the other backends are enabled by default.
The idea of the testsuite is to check that sane was compiled
successfully and dynamic loading works without the need to install.

> I re-read another faq specific to the hp backend. I setup my hp.conf for
> the USB scanner that I have (4100C). I was able to get scanimage,
> xscanimage and xsane to work with the default scanner. So the problem I
> was having was more a configuration problem. Unfortunately none of the
> programs like scanimage handle bad configuration files.

As scanimage doesn't use these configuration files it's not a problem
of the frontends.

> Either we need a
> configuration setup utility or a way to report what is wrong in the
> program while exiting gracefully. At present coming into the program,
> reading the documentation, and trying to setup the hardware is rather
> difficult when the error message being reported is a Segmentation fault.

A segfault is definitely a bug (probably in the backend in this case).
Usually, the backends tell you about wrong entries in the config
files, if you ask them (e.g. SANE_DEBUG_HP=255). However, it's not
that easy to check for all possibilities, e.g. a user configuring an
USB scanner as SCSI (or vice versa).