[sane-devel] USB scanner troubles

G. L. `Griz' Inabnit griz@outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 02:18:41 -0800

Hey Folks,

	Some of this is going to be out of the scope of this mailing list (usb info)
but I'm stuck.
	I have a clients machine in my shop who wanted to get away from the M$
Kludge so we loaded on Debian. All went lovely until I attempted to setup his
Musteck 1200 CU USB scanner. Then I fell on my face (no! not literally)
	At connection (plugging the scanner into the usb port) I recieve:
hub.c:  USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 3      but
there is NO /dev/usb/scanner, /dev/usbscanner, or anything else new. So, I
need to ask and find out what I'm doing incorrectly, which part of the docs I
missed, etc.
	I am running 2.4.16 with    /usb/hid    support for the APC UPS Backups 350
(working well too).  I find that in   usbview    I see both devices
(scanner/ups), but only the ups is assigned a /dev location. What am I
missing???  :--(  And what system info do you folks need?
	The following is a cut from dmesg:

usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
uhci.c: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v1.1
uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xef80, IRQ 19
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb.c: registered new driver hiddev
usb.c: registered new driver hid
hid-core.c: v1.8 Andreas Gal, Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz>
hid-core.c: USB HID support drivers
usb.c: registered new driver usbscanner
scanner.c: 0.4.6:USB Scanner Driver
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
IP: routing cache hash table of 2048 buckets, 32Kbytes
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 224k freed
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 2
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 3
Adding Swap: 248996k swap-space (priority -1)
hiddev0: USB HID v1.00 Device [American Power Conversion American Power
Conversion] on usb1:3.0

Debian UNstable
2.4.16
updated daily

Regards,

Griz

- --
                           OutCast Computer Consultants of Central Oregon
                                 http://outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                 griz@outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                                 (541) 504-1388
                                            Toll Free (866) 562-7160
                                 Via IRC at; 205.227.115.251:6667:#OutCasts
                                           Via ICQ: UIN 138930

"Failure is not an option...it's bundled with Microsoft"
						-anonymous-

"Software is like sex. They're both better when they're free!!" - Linus
Torvalds

"As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product."