[sane-devel] 2.4.16 freeze on opening /dev/usb/scanner0

Marcio Luis Teixeira marciot@holly.colostate.edu
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 17:09:38 -0700

Hi,

Recently I upgraded the kernel on my RedHat 7.1 system to version 2.4.16
so
I could begin testing the Umax1220u driver under that kernel (using the
sanei_usb interface).

However, I seem to have run into an unexpected problem. Whenever I try
to access /dev/usb/scanner0 (or /dev/usbscanner) it freezes my entire
system.
At first I thought my driver was misbehaving, but apparently even if I
do a
tail on the device file, it is enough to freeze the system:

bash:#  /sbin/modprobe uhci                            # Have this set
up as a module
bash#   tail  /dev/usb/scanner2                         # I only have
one scanner...
tail: /dev/usb/scanner1: No such device        # ...ok, this is
expected.
bash#   tail /dev/usb/scanner0                          # This
*completely* freezes the machine

In my old kernel (2.4.2) this was never a problem. Any ideas what might
be
going on? How can I turn on debugging and get some more meaningful
information about this?

Marcio Luis Teixeira