[sane-devel] Suggested change for saned

Sun, 16 Dec 2001 18:52:00 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 12:14:47PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> I came across a two year old bug report in the Debian bug database,
> and decided to have a look.  The bug report reads:
>
>   I tried to use a scanner with the net-device. I have written the
>   FQDN of several hosts in the file saned.conf. But I got no
>   connection. The problem was the FQDN. The hostname without the
>   domain works well. I think this is a strange behavior and makes it
>   impossible to let hosts of different domains connect to saned.
>     - <URL:http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=51171>

I can't reproduce this and I have never heard about such a problem
before. There has been a report that host only doesn't work and I have
made the docu clearer beacuse of that (FQDN only).

For me both FQDN and host name only works.

> I'm not sure (I'm missing a test environment), but I believe this
> patch should solve the problem.  Instead of comparing the DNS name
> strings, the names are converted to IP addresses before these are
> compared.  Could someone test if the patch works?  It compiles, but I
> haven't tested it.

I think this approach is ok in principle. However, your code doesn't
work for me. Every (but local) access is denied. It doesn't matter if
I use "host.domain.de" or "host" in saned.conf.

I don't now yet why exactly. The address of the name(s) in saned.conf
are detected correctly. The problem must be somewhere later in the code.