[sane-devel] permissions for parallel port scanners

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 05:51:59 -0400

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW

Parallel port scanners are a dying breed. As far as the
EPSON backend is concerned, I don't see any need to=20
update / modify the way the scanner is accessed.=20

If somebody is concerned about security, they should not
connect a par-port scanner. USB scanners are pretty inexpensive
these days, and they can be installed in a safe and portable
way.=20

I will update the man page and list mention the drawbacks
of setuid-root programs, but I think that the mechanisms
of getting the frontends set up and maybe the sane-net work-
around should be documented on the project level and not
for the individual backends.

Karl Heinz