[sane-devel] Re: hp-backend and SCSI-problems on Linux kernels 2.4.x

Ray Curtis Ray Curtis <ray@ccux.com>
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 14:15:16 -0500

pk> Hi,
pk> people currently encountering problems with the hp-backend and SCSI on
pk> Linux 2.4.x-kernels could try the following:

pk> Add an entry "option disable-scsi-request" below your scanner device in
pk> /usr/local/etc/sane.d/hp.conf.
pk> Example:

pk> /dev/scanner
pk>   option disable-scsi-request

pk> It may also be necessary to remove the line "scsi HP" from the file.
pk> The option will make the backend read directly from the SCSI-device
pk> without using SCSI-requests.
pk> If the problems arise from the use of SCSI-requests (see postings by
pk> Abel Deuring), this option could be used as a workaround until the
pk> kernel bug is fixed.

Thanks for the try Peter, but I had already tried that which was
carried through from a past version of sane which worked for me,
I just haven't used sane for awhile.

I seem to be having the problem of the scanner not being recoginzed
by sane.

For sane-find-scanner I get:

[root@bugs:/etc]/% sane-find-scanner
sane-find-scanner: found processor "HP C2520A 3503" at device /dev/scanner
sane-find-scanner: found processor "HP C2520A 3503" at device /dev/sg1

Then:

[root@bugs:/etc]/% scanimage -L

So if I try using xsane I get the same thing no scanner. With past
versions the scsi was always the easiest one to use. I suspect a
problem with the scsi driver [Buslogic] with this kernel right now.

Thanks again,

--
Ray Curtis         Unix Programmer/Consultant   Curtis Consulting
mailto:ray@ccux.com                             http://www.ccux.com