[sane-devel] HP Photosmart 210 Digi Camera

Hubert Figuiere hfiguiere@teaser.fr
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 08:29:56 +0100

According to Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning@meier-geinitz.de>:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 07:38:12PM +0000, Sean Rima wrote:
> > Wondering if anyone has managed to use this camera with SANE. I cannot use
> > Gphoto as I dislike GUI and never install it.
>
> I have never used gphoto, but the website states:
>
> "Please note that what you get with gPhoto 2.0 is not what you got
> with gPhoto1 (0.4.x). gPhoto 2.0 is a set of libraries for accessing
> digital cameras.  The only interface that it comes with is a
> command-line interface.  You must download graphical applications
> separately from the gPhoto2 software.  Don't worry though: there are
> plans for native KDE, GNOME, and other frontends. Hopefully your
> favorite applications will support gPhoto 2.0!"
>
> There is a gphoto backend included in SANE 1.0.6.

While all the above is true, I must state that as always HP has been
unwillingness to provide specs or help to support their cameras in gphoto2.
Therefor, there NO support for that camera and many other in gphoto2. I
wonder how far corporate bullshit can go.... (HP tells they are supporting
Linux and OpenSource, but they are unable to do something in that way).

If this camera is USB, you may try to use it as a USB Mass Storage device.
Recent HP models do it that way and most USB stacks support that.

Hub