[sane-devel] driver for LM983x based scanners next shot

Wed, 21 Nov 2001 23:43:41 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 08:48:30PM +0100, Jaeger, Gerhard wrote:
> I was wondering if you can sent me some feedback for other
> LM983x based devcies. Have some of you guys checked
> out the stuff and tried to make other devices to work?
> You might send me the vendor and product ID, so I'm able
> to prepare the driver for these devices...

This is really cool stuff. First I tried my Mustek BearPaw scanners
with Linux 2.4.13. scanimage -L worked (scan bar returned to home).
scanimage >image.pnm however halted the kernel. The last messages were
something like:

sanei_lm9831_read: fd=3, reg=2, len=1, increment=0
sanei_lm9831_read: writing command 01 02 00 01
Scheduling in interrupt
Invalid operand: 0000
[...]
Process Kapm-idled
[...]
Kernel panic

Then I tried Linux 2.4.10: I used the following config file:

usb 0x0400-0x1000
/dev/usb/scanner
usb 0x0400-0x1001
/dev/usb/scanner1

The first one is the Mustek BearPaw 1200, the second one the Mustek
BearPaw 2400.

The Mustek BearPaw 2400 actually scans. The lamp is turned on and off quite a
few times before actually scanning. In gray mode preview, the scanner
scans about half the length it should so the image looks to small in
x-direction. The return of the scan bar is slower than the scanning
itsself. However, there actually is an image and it looks ok in
principle (300 and 600 dpi). X- and Y-start positions seem to be
wrong. Some artifacts that look like waves...
Even color mode works, here is the proof (image of colored window):
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/images/bearpaw-2400-test-1.png (420 kb)

Now concerning the Mustek BearPaw 1200:
The same flickering and motor moving as above but the resulting image
is mostly black with some garbage data at the beginning. In preview
mode there are some shapes that may be the test image but with lots of
stripes and garbage. With color mode it's the same but greenish :-)

> If you need assistance in integrating a device description,
> please mail...

I will try to add one at least for the 1200, for which I have the
source code. Maybe experimenting with the data for the 2400 will also
result in something better. As 0x0400 0x1000/0x1001 are the factory
defaults for the lm983x chips, I think the backend must provide a way
to specify a scanner's name (e.g. bearpaw_1200). Maybe it does and I
didn't notice it yet :-)

I hope i can send more results during the next days.

Excelent work!