[sane-devel] 4 years and It's still the same error

Karl Heinz Kremer khk at khk.net
Mon Nov 5 19:34:57 GMT 2001

I also suspect a SCSI error, the backend receives a buffer containing
garbage, two bytes of this buffer are used as the "function level" -
that's EPSON's version of the scanner command set. For the perfection 1200
this command level should be B7. Because most EPSON scanners use the same
subset of commands, it is usually OK to fall back to the B3 level. This
is done mainly for new scanners, so that you can at least use the basic
scan functions.

Because the backend sees nothing that resembles a correct command level
it uses it's default. This alone does not cause the segfault. I don't
know where the segfault happens, but it's certainly possible that it's
in my plug-in.

What SCSI Adapter are you using? Is the scanner the only device connected
to this adapter? Do you have access to an active terminator? Have you
used one yet?

The Perfection 1200 has an internal and automatic termination, but this may
not work correctly. I usually try to terminate my devices with an external
terminator.

How long is your SCSI cable?

Do you get any errors on the console or in the message log? Does "dmesg"
display any SCSI related error messages?

I used my Perfection 1200 two days ago with the the pre1 1.0.6 build and
kernel version 2.4.10. So I know that it works.

Karl Heinz