[sane-devel] Re: Avision backend

Jose Paulo Moitinho de Almeida moitinho at civil.ist.utl.pt
Tue Nov 13 09:51:49 GMT 2001

Hello

On Monday 12 November 2001 13:00, you wrote:

> Attached is a slightly modified avision.c (simply replace the sane-1.0.6
> one). It doesn't yet do the software color-packing ... - But it includes
> all vendor strings I was able to find, outputs some scanner parameters
> in a readable way and (most importantly) it generated the gamma-table in
> another way. It like to make Christian another test scan using this new
> code (test my theory ...).

> WARNING: All test are done on your own risk ...

It recognised my scanner :-), but failed on reporting dimensions /
resolutions ...

I did not try to scan, but made some changes to the code in attach, which I
am attaching (of course!), as well as a log. The relevant parts have comments
with questions.

I have two questions (and a side note) which may be of general interest to
the list:

a) coolscan uses sane.type = "slide scanner",
   canon uses "film scanner".

   Shouldn't the same name be used for both?

b) Is there a backend that implements film strip sense/control (and works)?

c) From backend/coolscan.c "This file implements a SANE backend for COOLSCAN
flatbed scanners." Flatbed coolscan?

Regards

Ze Paulo