[sane-devel] Umax WikiWeb Destroyed

marciot marciot@holly.colostate.edu
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 15:20:10 -0600

Everyone,

This morning it was brought to my attention that the
Umax Astra 1220U WikiWeb on SourceForge had
"disappeared".

I had made it a point to dump the contents of the
WikiWeb periodically so I could recover it it case
someone on the outside vandalized it, but those
backups are gone too.

The only explanation I've found is that someone must
have run an  "rm -rf *" from a cgi-script on
SourceForge. This wipes out all files owned by
"nobody", i.e. all files owned by the webserver (which
included my dumps). I've asked to see if the SourceForge
could recover it off tapes, but I don't think they will
be able to do it (apparently they are not set up to be
able to do so).

So, regretfully, the loss is total. If you contributed to
the WikiWeb to in the past, please let me know if you
had any offline copies of your postings.

For now I don't recommend adding new content to the
existing WikiWeb. I am going to request that a database
be set up for the project so we can use that as the
storage for the WikiWeb (which is a lot safer)

Marcio Luis Teixeira