[sane-devel] sane nikon coolscan

Hidong Kim hkim@tscnet.com
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 23:39:39 -0700

Hi,

I'm trying to install a Nikon Coolscan LS-2000 on my Red Hat 7.1
machine.  I recompiled the 2.4.2-2 kernel to support the SCSI interface
for this scanner, an Adaptec AVA-2903B.  (It uses the aic7xxx driver.)
The computer appears to recognize the SCSI host and the scanner fine.
Here are some lines from /var/log/messages during boot:

Oct 13 23:25:16 driver kernel: scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI
SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.1.7
Oct 13 23:25:16 driver kernel:         <Adaptec 2902/04/10/15/20/30C
SCSI adapter>
Oct 13 23:25:16 driver kernel:         aic7850: Single Channel A, SCSI
Id=7, 3/255 SCBs
Oct 13 23:25:16 driver kernel:
Oct 13 23:25:16 driver kernel:   Vendor: Nikon     Model: LS-2000
    Rev: 1.31
Oct 13 23:25:16 driver kernel:   Type:   Scanner
    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Here's 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi':

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: Nikon    Model: LS-2000          Rev: 1.31
  Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02

I downloaded and installed sane 1.0.5 backends and frontends.  I didn't
see any errors during the installation.  The scanimage and xscanimage
executables were created.  But sane does not detect any scanners.
Here's the output of 'scanimage --list-devices':

Here's the output of  'tools/sane-find-scanner':

# Note that sane-find-scanner will find any scanner that is connected
# to a SCSI bus.  It will even find scanners that are not supported
# at all by SANE. It won't find a scanner that is connected to a
# parallel, USB or other non-SCSI port.

# If your scanner uses SCSI, you must have a driver for your SCSI
# adaptor and support for SCSI Generic (sg) in your Operating System
# in order for the scanner to be used with SANE. If your scanner is
# NOT listed above, check that you have installed the drivers.

The scanner is turned on and connected.  Why is sane not detecting the
scanner when the computer seems to be detecting it?  What else can I
check?  Thanks,

Hidong