[sane-devel] Tamarack : scanning speed

Andrei B. andrixnet@yahoo.com
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 00:06:46 -0800 (PST)

I tried sane 1.0.4 yesterday (and an older version a few months ago)
with a dissapointing result.

 My setup is :

 Pentium 200MMX, 64MB, NCR5380 SCSI controller (came with the scanner)
and a Tamarack 6000C scanner (actually branded ESCOM, but reported as
Tamarack on SCSI bus).
 System is Slackware 7.0, kernel 2.2.19.

 The NCR5380 which came with the scanner uses port access (0x240) and
DMA, no IRQ's. It is detected by the SCSI driver and with the scanner
on, it detects the scanner, no problems.

 sane-find-scanner finds the scanner correctly on the SCSI bus.

 Trying to use xscanimage to scan an image, let's say 300dpi, color, a
full A4 page I got an excellent result, but it took 5 hours.

 Usually, a scan (300/color) with the windows drivers takes about 5
minutes.
 xscanimage scanned it in 5 hours. I watched the scanner sensor, it
moved a step about one a second, instead of a continuos pass.

  I read in the manuals about SG_BIG_BUFF and set it before compiling
sane, and rebuilt the kernel and modules before using it, as I
remembered it from the previous time I tried sane, an older version.
 I got the same result then, although I didn't have the patiance to let
it finish one scan... Changed the SG_BIG_BUFF then, with no result.
Same with sane-1.0.4

 If anybody can please suggest something to improve scanning speed..

 Thank you.

=====
ing. Andrei Boros
Centrul pt. Tehnologia Informatiei