[sane-devel] sane rpm install problem

Sat, 15 Sep 2001 12:05:25 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 07:26:12AM +0000, Graeme Nichols wrote:
> I have an Epson Perfection 640U scanner and would like to get it working
> under Red Hat Linux 7.1, kernel 2.4.2-? to complete my migration from WIN
> 98 SE so I downloaded sane-1.0.3-2.i386.rpm and attempted to install it.

Where did you get this from? This RPM is extremely old. Try a current
one (1.0.5), or, if you can't find one, try the source code.

> RPM says:
> error. failed dependencies:
> libgimp-1.1.so.25 is needed by sane-1.0.3-2
> I have gimp-1.2.1-5 and gimp devel 1.2.1-5 installed both of which
> contain libgimp-1.2.so.0.0.1

> What am I doing wrong?

Probably you are using an old SANE RPM with a newer system.

> Do I need the earlier version of libgimp?

If you can't get a newer version of SANE from your distributor, you
can try to make RPMs from the latest source code of SANE and the
latest source RPMs from your distribution.